AB104 Information

  • Town hall Ab104

    Town Hall Zoom Link

    Click on the links below to view the script for the Town Hall
    Town Hall Script
    Transcripción de la Junta

    Greetings Parents/Guardians, 

    Madera Unified School District would like to inform you of Assembly Bill 104 (AB104), which was recently passed and signed into law by the governor. The bill recognizes that students have experienced hardships during the pandemic with school closure and participating in distance learning most, if not all, of the school year. 

    Therefore, this assembly bill authorizes a parent/guardian of a student who is enrolled in high school and was enrolled in courses during the 2020-21 school year to apply to change their letter grades to a Pass or No Pass on the student’s transcript for any course enrolled in 2020-21. There is no limit on the number of courses that can be requested to change from a letter grade to a Pass/No Pass. Please note, the change requests may not negatively affect a student’s grade point average or put a student at risk of not being eligible for state or institutional financial aid for college. 

    California State University and University of California colleges will accept a Pass/No Pass grade for the 2020-21 school year.  Additional California colleges and universities that will accept Pass/No Pass grades are listed on the California Department of Education website and information is also provided on the application.  Please visit the admissions and financial aid websites of the college(s) your student would like to attend and review their requirements for Pass/No Pass grades.   Some majors have specific requirements on grade point average and grades in certain content areas.  If you have any questions about how this might affect you, please contact your school counselor.

    You have until August 18, 2021, to make this request.  Applications are available on your school’s website through google form and paper copies are available in the front office.  We CANNOT accept applications after the deadline indicated.

    If you have any questions, please contact your school site counselor. 

    NOTE: Some colleges & universities, including those in other states, may not accept a Pass or No Pass grade instead of a letter grade for admission purposes.  Prior to requesting a Grade Change, please research all post-secondary institutions that you are considering applying to after graduation.

    If you are a Student-Athlete, please review NCAA and NAIA eligibility center rules to understand how Pass/No Pass grades are calculated for eligibility to play in college.

    Once a Grade Change to Pass/No Pass has been made, the former letter grade cannot be reinstated.

    SUBMIT A Question