Attendance PolicyAttendance Clerk: 675-4444 x1141
Attendance Policy and Procedures
Attendance will be reviewed and communicated to students weekly in the classroom. Students are reminded to check for attendance errors.
Excessive absences and truancies may result in failing your academic classes. If a student is in danger of failing a class because of excessive absences, the teacher will notify the parent by letter or progress report.
Absences for the following reasons are excused for the purposes of this policy:
- Medical, Dental, Optometric, or Chiropractic
- Funeral for a member of the immediate family
- Jury Duty
Justifiable personal reasons approved by the principal or designee,( i.e./ court appearance, holiday or ceremony observance of his/her religion) must be approved in advance by the administrator. (Ed. Code 46010, 48204)
All School Activities must be cleared in advance by students with individual teachers in order to get assignments. Lists of students involved in activities will be approved and distributed by administration, activities director or athletic director.
Picking students up from school: For student safety, parent/guardian may be asked to show a form of identification (picture ID) before the school releases a student. Students may only be released to parent/guardian and/or others who are on the student’s emergency contact list. Student must be picked up from the front office. Student will be called out at the time of parent arrival. All students must check out and have clearance to leave campus.
Release by phone - parent/guardian must verify identification before a student is released.
In order to preserve instructional time, the school discourages parent/guardian from picking up students early from school during the last 30 minutes of the school day.
Absences must be cleared by one of the following methods:
- All absences must be cleared within 72 hours of absence(s) to the Attendance Secretaries.
- The parent/guardian may call the attendance office, preferably on the day of the absence. If a clerk does not answer, voicemails will be logged and recorded. If a clerk has any questions or needs to verify information, they will return your call.
- Students can bring a note on the day they return to school. Notes need to be dropped off in the attendance office by 3:30 p.m.
- Parents may send an email to the Attendance Clerks
- *Unexcused absences will result in loss of school privileges (LOP List).
All notes and phone calls MUST include the following information:
- Full name of student
- Student ID number
- Date(s) of absence and period(s) missed
- Specific reason for absence
- Parent/guardian signature
- Parent/guardian contact phone number
Make-Up Work- Students have one (1) day for each day absent to make up missed work from the time they return to school.
Parents are encouraged to call 72 hours (3 school days) in advance if your child will be absent 3 or more days to request missed assignments.
Unexcused Absences: Uncleared all day or single period absences become unexcused if they have not been cleared by Wednesday of the following week. It is the student’s responsibility to assure that the absence has been cleared and that there are no errors in their attendance record.
EXCUSED absence codes
(DO NOT count for L.O.P.)
(COUNTS for L.O.P.)
(COUNTS for L.O.P.)
B – Bereavement
D – Doctor
E – Excused
F – Field Trip
I – Illness
J – Justified Late
K – Kept in Office
S – Suspended
Z – Health Office
A – Unverified
R – Personal Reason
T – Truant
U – Unexcused
Q – Verified excused beyond
what is noted above
L – Late (up to 30 minutes)
M –Late (greater than 30 minutes is considered truant)
*Note: When tardy due to excused purpose, student will report to the attendance office so that time they arrived may be noted and T/M marking may be remarked as Justified Late along with the arrival time.