• Students Experiencing Homelessness as defined in the McKinney-Vento Act
    At Madera Unified, we do everything in our power to provide quality education, opportunities, and services to children and youth facing homelessness. Our district ensures that students experiencing homelessness and their families know their legal rights to receive those services.

    The McKinney-Vento Homeless Program helps homeless children have equal access to a free public education as provided to all of the other children in the District. A child is considered homeless if they do not have a regular adequate residence.

    This means any students living in shelters, in substandard housing, doubled up with friends or relatives because they have no other place to go and cannot afford a home. The other living arrangements included are single room hotels, cars, parks, public places, transitional affidavit.

    Homeless Children are guaranteed enrollment in school by The Federal McKinney-Vento Act and California State law if you live:

    • In a shelter (family, domestic violence, or youth shelter or transitional living program)
    • In a motel, hotel or weekly rate housing
    • In a house or apartment with more than one family because of economic hardship or loss
    • In an abandoned building, in car, at a campground, or on the street
    • In temporary foster care or with an adult who is not your parent or guardian
    • In substandard housing (without electricity, water, or heat)
    • With friends or family because you are a runaway or an unaccompanied youth

    To enroll in or attend school if you live under any of these conditions, you do NOT need to provide:

    • Proof of residency
    • Immunization records or tuberculosis skin-test results      
    • School records
    • Legal Guardianship papers

    You may:

    • Participate fully in all school activities and programs for which you are eligible
    • Continue to attend the school in which you were last enrolled even if you have moved away from that school’s attendance zone or district
    • Receive transportation from your current residence back to your school or origin
    • Qualify automatically for child nutrition program (free and reduced-price lunches and other district food programs).
    • Contact the district liaison to resolve any disputes that arise during the enrollment process.

    For questions about enrolling in school or for assistance with school enrollment, contact:

    Your local School District Liaison for the homeless: Rosa Galindo (559) 675-4500 ext. 408




Last Modified on March 2, 2023